Friday, December 3, 2021

Realizing How Our Words Matter


So I got my table repainted last night and today started putting everything back; dusting
as I went.  
So many ink and glitter bottles and other little things I like to have
within arm's reach.  I'm trying to be more selective this Advent season about what I want to see on my art table while I paint, play and write.  I want things to be meaningful and 
 Uplifting.    
  
My friend and I who have been doing the word of the day in our watercolor books 
decided we want to change things up in the next.   Besides single words, we want to journal scriptures
and quotes to our pages this time around.  We finally agreed to get a new stamp that says 
"Word Love."  We talked it out in great length trying to choose what we want 
the stamp to say.  Never before have I thought so long and hard on something so small only
to realize how big it actually is.
  Words matter so much.    
We've all been on both ends of them.
The giving and receiving. 
 Some of the words said to me as a little girl crushed my heart 
and stuck  in my head; leaving big, ugly scars.   
 -Took me a good 35 years to forgive.  
  Words are life or death.
They can build us up 
or they can completely tear us down.

This morning when I was getting ready I opened the drawer to use 
the new eye shadow palette I got last weekend at Ulta.  
 A really nice lady came to help me while I was shopping  and 
showed me this palette that had all the colors I was looking for.  
Blakelea gets in my makeup when I'm putting it on and it was really time for me to 
replenish my eye shadows.  I thought if I got a new one; she could have the old (almost empty) one 
to play with like she does.  Anyways I didn't look the new palette over in the store real well but since 
I liked the colors I bit the $ bullet and bought it.
  
I was excited today  as I opened it ... and began to choose which ones I wanted to wear.
Then- ....I noticed the words below every color. 
Ya'll I know I'm old fashioned but c'mon, I don't want to wear a color with a negative name-
I don't care how pretty it is!  
I won't write all the words here nor the brand but those words are not something I'd ever want to wear.  
I'm just blown away and it makes me so sad.  
If makeup has to have names ... I want to put on Love,
Courage, Compassion, Joy.... -- all the things I want to walk in.  
At first I thought well, I'll just give it to my Michelle since I didn't want it but I'm just not!!  
It's going in the trash and I'll just write it off as another hard lesson learned.  
I shudder to think of Blakelea standing in my bathroom with me 
as I put on makeup and her wanting some too.  
"Grammy, what's that say??  Can you imagine me telling her 
what it's called, let alone try to explain "why" we would choose to wear that word?
No way. 
Another lesson I learned the hard way. 

Until we meet again,
<*))))><  








 

3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Hi friend. I know you are right about how words matter. Some of my biggest regrets are words I spoke in haste or anger. Wish I could go back and take them away. Since I cannot...will move forward forgiving myself as I pray others have forgiven me. Take care and enjoy being creative in this Christmas season. Hugs!

Artful Gathering said...

Oh Lea. Another beautiful post. Our words can either build up or scar. Choose them wisely

Jean said...

I agree wholeheartedly Lea in what you say. This world just gets crazier and for youngsters especially.

Thank you for sharing.

God Bless