Thursday, December 2, 2021

Advent and A Few Random Things Around Here...


Hello friends, 
Thought I'd share a few things I have going on around me.  
(fair warning... this is long.  If you stick it out... well... bless your heart.)

Welcome to my humble mess. :) 

I signed up for the Care December class at Everything art. 
It's free and starts the 4th in case someone else wants to join in! 
Because Advent is important to me- when I do the prompts; my  thoughts will be  geared towards Advent.

So we are encouraged to choose a color palette ahead of time.
I gathered my old metal Christmasy cigarette case and put my watercolors 
within my chosen palette inside.  I know I know... someone is shaking their head 
at "cigarette" case- and  I get it but... I used to smoke and it is my greatest regret in life. 
I think repurposing  these old vintage cases reminds me that I overcame something and 
now... good comes from it.  
Moving on... 

These are the colors I've chosen.  
Hotmess express?  Uhuh.  
I had initially just started playing around with watercolors on this page
and thought once I decided; I'd make a pretty page but ... nah.  
I'm rollin with this one.  
watercolors
soft pastels
stabilo
charcoal 
(so far)  

Here is the old hymnal I destroyed ... I mean 
repurposed.  
:)
I tore all the pages out... and reinforced the spine, 
then added the ribbon and odd, mismatched, misfit pages inside.  
Thank you Dawn for the cute tag you sent... it's perfect
 for me. 
 

I think? I shared my this year's bible study already but 
I'm lovin it.  
I get the monthly subscription box for bible studies 
at She reads Truth.


Today's word was out of James and 

a verse from it went inside my daily faith book. 
With the end of the year fast approaching all my books are ending
which is so bittersweet always.  
The year before last I tried a different book for this and it just didn't work out for me.
I love this Moleskine the very best.  The paper is great for fountain pens and 
they even take some watercolor and crinkle nicely.  
If you are interested in writing a scripture a day starting January 
I encourage you to check out these soft black moleskines.  
I get them on Amazon and it's a planner with a space for each day and then 
one big blank page every week that I draw on and write well sometimes the junk that 
may happen or struggles I have or ... aha moments that pertain to my faith.  

My lotus blu book is on it's very last page too.  
I got to choose the word today:  so I went with 
Lights.  
Every day through this book I painted flowers so it is like walking through a flower garden 
front to back.  I've discovered so much through this one book and it has become 
my most favorite of all art journals. 
What I've learned through this one book: 
I learned I love to put washi tape around the edges before I start
I learned I love love love loose LOOOOOSE florals
I learned I looooove when good colors bleed into eachother to a degree
I learned it's hard to wait til paint dries to add a second layer
I learned it can be ugly and messy and beautiful all at the same time 
I learned colors I love and colors I very much abhor!  ha  
I learned it's okay if I don't finish them 
I learned I love white space 
I learned pulling the tape back off; .... well-  there is good washi and bad washi..


and I learned to go with things... and express daily life. 
Like on this day buying a bouquet of yellow roses for a total stranger.
Sometimes even if you don't understand the why's of things...
to just do it... 
and find a place to record.... to scribe... to remember!

Here is my next journey in watercolor.... 
It begins tomorrow! 
Another Lotus Blu ... 
the name: Tree of Life 
My friend and I once again will be taking turns to choose a word...
and record the journey of our lives... in paint and art and friendship...

This also started new yesterday. 
I mean... how could anyone pass this up?  
I got a box for my daughter Michelle too.  
(In case you're wondering... Target)

This is what the box inside looks like. 
Remember as a kid getting that box of life savers in your stocking?  
This is my grown up version.  :)  


This was behind yesterday's door.
I've never had reindeer blend before and can I just say...
Caribou reindeer I love you like crazy.  
I really really do. 
You're so delicious... every darn drop.  

This was today's.  
ahem. Let's just say... if ... IF this was thee only coffee in the world 
I could get used to it.  However... (whispering) 
I do hope there is not anymore of this inside my box.  Just too wonderful for 
my goofy tastebuds.  :)  


With the start of December I got to begin another change- 
from B6 back to narrow traveler's notebook.  
I've missed this pine tree tn so much and have used it for 
Christmas time before.  

Inside I found this insert... .
I'll be making more "Jesus birthday cake in jars" again this year to add to gifts.
If anyone needs that recipe it is up under the recipe tab above I believe.  
Or you can search for it in the upper left search bar.  

This book is new and on my table too. 
Trent asked me awhile back if maybe for Christmas I'd make him a book 
of all the recipes he grew up on.  You know: Goulash, tatertot hotdish, sloppy joes etc. 
So I ordered this binder ... "a little black book" for Trento and soon I need to start working on it 
in the evenings.  I want to take photos too of some of the recipes after making them and 
add inside.  Really melts my heart that he wants this.  That was a gift to my heart. 
So many times in the past he's texted me and asked me "Momma how do you make ____." 
He is a really good cook ... and also grill master too!  
So ... 
those are some of the new things around here today.  

Also every year I try to add something to our Christmas decor.  
This donkey was at walmart!  Finally hung her on the wall. 
Kinda fits in around here don't you think?   

I'm off to keep printing more photos.  
Someone asked me before how I get square photos?  
I have a printer that does it now but ... this is how I've done it before- 
I upload whatever photo or little collage I want in a square shape to instagram.
I don't even go through with posting it to print but I upload it as if I was going to- 
then I screen shot it.  Then I use a printer from my phone like right now 
I'm using the canon selphy.  
I will cut the two square collage photos and use in my art journal for advent.
The little tiny ones below... I save and like to tape on packages I send to Blakelea. 

I have one I need to mail now.  Kids love getting mail and I found little flat 
ornaments made out of wood.  I can pop one in a manilla envelope without any padding even.
Little photos like this taped on the outside will delight her.  

Okay ... that's my share for today.  
Hope this finds you all well. 
I'm off to print a couple more then, clear off my art table completely and find a gallon of exterior 
white paint to once again repaint my table.  The last time I mixed different whites together 
and added coffee to make it creamier than stark white... yeah that was a mistake. 
Don't do that.  I mean what was she thinking? lol  
Now every little water stain on my table looks GROSS.  
Have a great day.  
Thanks for stopping by the shed and 
spending your precious time with me.

Until we meet again,
<*))))><





































 

1 comment:

Jean said...

Hey Lea, as always I have enjoyed my visit to the shed....always so uplifting and encouraging....love your art always and the flower garden is just beautiful.

Walking through Advent days with you is such a Blessing. I always said that you could write a devotional....You are a Blessing and a Joy.