Monday, October 26, 2020

Home Sweet Home

It's such a beeeeautiful rainy day! 
This morning I took a little walk and snapped photos along the way.
I love walking in the rain and paying attention to how different everything appears
drenched in water droplets.  The colors are so vibrant.  Especially in the woods. 
Moss on trees ... to me it's all so beautiful. 
I thought I'd share this lovely rose and her wet leaves with all of you.  
I wish I could remember her proper name?  She has brought me so much 
joy.  Countless bouquets.  And many a mud pie.  
Just this weekend she sweetened a cake. 

a very special birthday cake 
for Blakelea's Mommy.  
The feather was her candle.  
I don't think I shall ever pass that rose bush the rest of my days
without remembering... her lovely garnishes.  

Home sweet home.  
This olde farm has been such a blessing to raise our family.
From corner post to corner post... memories abide. 
How thankful I am.

Having to move a lot when I was a kid... 
was ...well; put it this way... a struggle.  
Parts of those memories I wish I could forget. 
But the good Lord put people in my path along the way... that I'll cherish in my heart and 
I will forever be grateful.  
And all the moves... made me want to grow roots.  
That's why this old farm means so much to me. 
When emptying our computer/dog room closet to repaint I found a surprise.
A stash of dusty old photos on a top shelf.  
It was of this old place when we were trying to buy it.  I think it was 1992ish?
I was living in NW Arkansas and Mike was livin in a motel down here.  He'd been transferred 
and we were desperately trying to find a place to live.  
This was where we wanted to get planted.  
I remember walking the land on a day much like today.
Rainy and dreary... but wondeful.
I'll  never forget walking through the woods and hearing the rushing creek.
We wanted it so bad. 
The house was around 800 square feet.  
Green shag carpet and only wood heat. 
Perfect for us.

It even had a barn.  
Somehow everything worked out... and we moved for I hope the last time. 

Alot has changed since then.  
We grew a little.  
And little by little over the years added on... 
and the roots grew deep. 

What is now our computer dog room... was once part of our bedroom.
It had a window air conditioner in here and our little boys had a pallet on the floor 
and slept in our room with us in the hot summer time.  
By morning the old air conditioner would have froze up with ice on the front.  
But we all slept like babies right here.  
It's changed a little now  ... but  those boys 
grew up real good here.  
The old window has yet to be replaced.  Maybe next year.
Until then... my old purple bottles grace the sill.  
Central heat and air now keeps us warm and cool
... we're spoiled. 

We've had fun the past few weeks turning what decades ago was part of our bedroom until
we added on... and later became Trents bedroom... - now  a little home office.  

Most of the holes in the walls got filled.  
And the babygate and basket of dog toys are waiting patiently
for our next puppy.  

A few favorite pictures got hung... 
like the dancing bears picture... photos of bears we took on vacations and 
the ten commandments here.  

We're still not quite done... but 
getting there.  And the roots 
are still ...

found in our doorjams.  
I'll never paint over them.
They are the evidence of 
little boys growing into young men. 
Reminders of the love 
that grew and 

continues to grow.  
Like Blakelea's height recorded 
on the same jams as her own Daddy's.  

Alot has changed.  
Alot is the same.  Only different. 

Our lives as empty nesters have new things that 
we're still finding out. 
And it's exciting.  
It's good.  

The roots have blossomed into a new generation.
Where the old barn once stood... and fell in... 
a new one built with all our hands and hearts 
now stands.  
And this little ones feet now tred the same path
but into  a different chapter of life.  

So many things...and memories that make a home
sweet. 

Today Myguy called me from work and once again I warned him 
that there's a chicken in the living room.  
I can still hear his laughter.  
These walls have held many a sickly chicken, a goat... 
a boxful of baby possums... stories that 
keep our pages turning.  

This little hen was born with a jacked up leg.  
She walks with a limp like me these days.  
Yesterday I saw a hawk from the window in this office.  
Chickens were running from the pasture.  
I ran out the door towards where I had seen the hawk.  
This old grammy hopped a gate... and ran out into tall weeds.  
All of a sudden a huge hawk flew up from about five feet away. 
It had snatched this little chicken.  I reached down and carried this little gal back home.  
She's now part of these walls.  
I hope she makes it... 
For now she's warm and safe in our home sweet home.  
Hopefully tomorrow will be another day for her.

Until we meet again,
<*)))><







 

2 comments:

Jean said...

Such beautiful memories Lea and treasures to hold. The marks on the wood measuring the height of the boys and Blakelea is so sweet and what a precious reminder of them growing fast.

Time just seems to fly these days and it's great to have photographs to look at as a record of our days.

Thank you for sharing your home and special days. God Bless

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Jeanie.. oh those marks on the wood make me smile everytime I walk past. I think we need to make Blake stand up there again... she is growing like a spring weed.
Thanks for visiting Jeanie...