Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Ebb n Flow... and Friendships


What a beautiful day friends!
I hope it is wherever you are too.  
I found myself chasing the light today.  
It's really overcast for the most part but when I went for 
my walk I kept thinking of the heart Light from yesterday.  


A time or two it shone through treetops and barely long enough 
for a photo.  But even still it was a beautiful day.  
It never gets old walking these woods.  
Every day it's all new again.  
Like the creek; it's always moving... 
the wind, the sounds, .... every thing.  
And every day I see something new.  

Last night Myguy read yesterday's post and we talked some about friendships. 
I love hearing his insights and he doesn't hold back either; which I appreciate.  
We both realize too how sometimes it seems as if friends come and go with different seasons
of life.  Especially if you look back across the span of your whole life.  
Some people are good friends still but you don't see them anymore because you live states away.
So it's different.  It's also interesting to look at your kids' friendships if you have children... and 
think of those they went to school with and are still friends. And... how some of those  too have drifted. 
I think it's somehow part of the ebb n flow of life... 

Awhile back I was in line at the grocery store and the checker and I struck up a conversation
that has stayed with me all this time.  I think we were talking about the high cost of groceries and I said something to the effect that I don't know how parents today do it.  I look back to when our boys were home we always had extra kids at our  house.  It was the hangout.  We went through soooo much food.  
She said she had a teenager at home... but it's not that way anymore.  She said kids today don't seem to hang out together much anymore... they do more online.  I was kinda shocked.  
When I was a kid we went to eachother's houses all the time.  I remember we'd even sneak to their 
bedroom windows and knock on them and stand there talking if they couldn't go anywhere.
In high school everyone met on 8th street or skyline drive.  
To talk on the phone you were tethered to the wall.  
Times have sure changed. 

One of my other friends who doesn't live near me said she too
wishes she had her very own Jonathon where she lives.  
I wonder how many others who read this are saying "me too." 
I bet quite a few.  
Anyways... for now... this is my Jonathon.  

While thinking about friendships I started looking for quotes on the subject.  
Remember the one that says 
The only way to have a friend is 
to be one.
I have always loved that one.  
What I didn't remember was that  it came from Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Oh Ralph, I would  love to pick your beautiful brain.   <3 


Then I remembered a book I've had for so long.  I think I shared it here 
years and years ago but I finally found it again. 
It's called:  On Women And Friendship by Starr Ockenga
I had forgotten how much I love this book and thumbing through the pages 
I was soooo inspired once again.  See all the sticky notes in the book? 
Lots!!  I hope you can make this photo bigger and read it.  
But.... 

this page is my favorite.  
In Victorian times friends often shared momentos of friendship.  
I completely love the giftings of braided hair.  
If I can figure out how to clip a lock of my gray hair without it being too noticeable 
I'd love to make a heart braid valentine for Myguy.  A small one... very small. lol 

If you are a journaler wouldn't you love to add  friendship pages  like this into your book? 
Stitching, inked words in fountain pen .... bits of lace, ribbons, hair.... ahhhh 
The creative juices are flowing... 

Okay I better sign off... 
Time for the ham to come out of the oven,
Cheers to friendships, and Jonathons, 
Until we meet again, 
<*))))><














 

No comments: