Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Lake Superior Vacay Photo Story

 

It's not often that Myguy can get away anymore.  
In fact; it's been over 7-8 years since the last vacation.   His phone never stops ringing. 
In fact we have an understanding; that if he gets that call and we are on a date... 
date is over.  It's happened.  No tears but instead he has my respect because 
people know when they're in a bind and need him- he'll be there.  It comes with his line of work.
Those kinds of calls don't happen  all the time but ... it does make life tricky and 
unpredictable.  That said; getting away together was a real treat. 



Our son offered to tend  to our place but we decided to take the girls to our vet 
to be kenneled.  It's so hot here and our dogs are indoor dogs.  
I could never have just left them and woulda worried the entire time.  
Daisy here is fully housebroke now... Rosie is another story.  She rode in the back seat inside her crate. 
Mike said there was nooooo way she was being turned loose in his truck. ha 
(Yeah she's still half crazy.)  Still; I wish  she was in this photo coz I can't help it; 
I just love me some of her crazy.  We need a family photo with all four of us.  
 
Drivin down the highway I caught this:
my man wantin some sugar from his 
other ole gal.  Good thing she's a dawg or ... well I'd hafta hurt her.  
So we got the girls settled in at Doc's and here we go! 
Pinch me.  Is this really happening?  
We just kept lookin over at eachother smilin. haha
 
We drove to Kansas City and spent the night there.  
It was nice getting a head start so we didn't have to drive all the way 
to Lake Superior in one lick. 

When I woke up the next day ... I heard  singin...
I was another year older.  
Myguy sang Happy birthday to me... and brought  coffee... and 
pancakes....  my favorite.
The day before we left I found this in the kitchen. 
He's so thoughtful and I have to say that cake was 
amaaazing.  

My wonderful mother in law sent my favorite candy bars in the world. 
They don't sell them anywhere around us so talk about a treat! 
I felt so loved and spoiled.  
I brought this along on our trip.... 
it was sooooooooooooo good.  

Okay after breakfast ..we were back on the road... and stopped at 
the house in Minnesota  where I was conceived and lived my first few years. 
 
I remember playing at this  slough next door and 
we ice skated on it in Winter.  
This photo brought back so many memories.  
I recall logs laying just like that almost a half century ago.  We'd try  to walk on them,
and catch tadpoles.  I want to print this photo and tape it 
over my art table to remind me to
 always PLAY just like I did back then. 

After that we drove to Medicine lake where I also 
once played.  
....I felt odd inside.  
Even though I'm pushing 60;   part of a  little girl 
is still in there.  She's harder to recognize now... but 
I can still feel her wildly in my heart.  


On our journey I brought along my Lotus Blu Book. 
It's a handmade watercolor book with the goal to  do a page daily.  One of my friends 
has one also and we take turns picking a word to record.
She found the rubber "word of the day" stamps and gifted me one and 
so we use them to add our words.  My  word recently was mudlark.  I follow 
an author on Facebook and love seeing the treasures she finds along
the river Thames in London.  Just ordered one of her books.. .anyways...it's about mudlarking.
I love to mudlark ... or lark... and look what I found in Medicine lake.
a larked green marble...

and this super cool rock which almost has a peridot 
hue.  We walked  to the park and found a little quiet shore all to ourselves.  

We just  played like kids.
Myguy always keeps the rocks I find and also 
my heart all warm n safe in his shirt pocket. 

We played along the water then it was time to get back on the road.
We were so excited because 
it was both our first times ....
to ever see Lake Superior.  
It was so big n beautiful.  It felt like being at the ocean to us since 
you can't see land.  
It was soooo much cooler up there!!  
Perfect weather.

The lighthouses along the North Shore grabbed me.  
This one will become one of our scripture pictures and 
if I got a good clear shot; one may get enlarged for our bedroom wall
because Mike loves them too.  

All the seagulls were fun to watch.  
I learned that they are monogamous and 
often mate for life.  

It was a great time exploring.  
We looked for agates... and hearts.  
Ended up bringing  home a nice collection of pretty rocks.  

Another thing I noticed up there is ... 
it smells good.  At any other lake I've ever been to;  usually you get whiffs 
of  fish ... and especially in August... it just smells lakey.  
Not here.  The water was just crystal clear too.  I can still hear it lapping 
against the shore.    

We tried to take a lot of roads less traveled. 

  

There were so many pretty pines... and alot of aspen.  


We've always enjoyed creek/river hikes.  
See the heart I came upon?
I think we left this one!  
  

This one's a keeper though.  


I usually walk in the water and Mike would rather stay on shore or rock hops.  
I was afraid I'd land on my big can so he carried my phone and 
I found alot of photos he'd taken.  I bet right here he was waitin for 
me to go down. ha  It was so slippery.  lol

We followed this path aways... 

There were so many aspens around.  
Reminded me some of Colorado.  

Can't remember where this was but we sat on a rocky beach 
below this.  There were a few people there so we didn't stick around. 



Instead we found quiet trails and wildflowers.  

We talked, laughed ... bantered and in the thick of that;... 
managed to capture it .... just right! lolol  
It was hilarious... guess you had to be there.  
We both just laugh when we see this picture.  
Wasn't pretty but ... still it was freakin funny.   :P

Later that night we went to our favorite restaurant: Texas Roadhouse.  
Actually... we ate there twice!  
We kinda ate our way across Minnesota really.  
It was sooooo fun. lol  
On the way to the motel our last night... we both

gasped.  This giant moon lit up the water!!!!!!!!!!!
The photo does not do it justice at all.  
The moon was huge.... and that reflection on the water ... was stunning!
We drove like maniacs to get back to our room so we could grab a jacket and go for
a really late night walk!  

We only had our cellphones so our photos aren't the greatest but 
the colors ... the lights... it was mesmerizing.  

I was a little nervous being in a strange place out walking so late at night. 
Myguy was a little too but we knew this was an enchanted evening with 
that giant moon above us.  I'm glad we went.  It was pretty sweet and actually very
romantic.  I noticed all the other sweethearts we walked by were so much 
younger than us!!!!!!!!!!!!  

We both set our alarms so we wouldn't oversleep because we had a very 
long day ahead of us to drive home.  
Myguy opened the doors to our balcony and this was our view:
What a glorious morning!  
We stood there long as we could taking it in... 
then scrambled to brush our hair and teeth and pack our bags.


We got one quick photo of the sunrise behind us on 
Lake Superior.  

Look how chilly it was! 
I could sure get used to that. 



We stopped to get  gas and Myguy checked oil again. 
My jeep burned quite a bit of oil on the way there!  
You know what they say.... (It's a Jeep thing.)  



I fed this seagull and told her goodbye.
Have a wonderful 
monogamous life with your Romeo!  

As we headed out... Myguy turned the Jeep where I could get one last shot... 
Goodbye Lake Superior!
Thank you for so much fun and much needed togetherness! 

No more lollygaggin on the way home.  
We drove hard.
One thing that seemed strange was we hardly saw any wildlife the whole trip?  
One squirrel, seagulls, and a chipmunk was it. 

While it was wonderful to get away ....
it was just as good coming home.  
Seeing that Arkansas sign...was a sight to behold.   -As  well as our exit  that leads to this old 
farmhouse.
It was after dark when we pulled in the drive. 
 When the headlights shined the front pasture; our familiar deer family were bedded down
like always.  
I get to see them  outside my window almost every day.  
Home sweet home. 

Thanks for stoppin by the shed.
Until we meet again!
<*)))>< 

















































































































































































3 comments:

Fran. said...

I always love your stories! N Happy Birthday beautiful you! Here in Michigan Lake Superior is above our Upper Pensilua! N a very cold Great Lake! So happy you got to return to the place that shaped you in yourjourney!! Our sunsets n sun rise have been so beautiful lately...miss you gurl... you n your guy look amazing! XOXO Love you Fran. ❤ ��

Jean said...

Glad you had a lovely vacation and adventure....looks like a beautiful peaceful place.

Thank you for sharing the pics....that big old moon is amazing.

Blessings

Paula said...

Aloha Lea,
Popping on your blog to sit and read a spell with you. Warms my heart to hear you got to get away with your sweetheart and play. Your trip sounds wonderful and relaxing. Hope you got the birthday card I sent you early. Sending you lots of love, and hugs. Paula