Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Getting Ready For A Cold Snap



Documenting the days.... 
I don't know how my northern friends do it anymore. 
So many of  them have been under snow and ice for weeks now. 
We've barely seen a flake here but we're finally going to see a good 
hard freeze. While writing this post,  my neighbor pm'd me with a weather picture that says
they are now calling for 50 percent chance of snow!!!!!!! 
Maybe single digits.   Even in the greenhouse with the heater going I don't think
my plants can  take it.  Not sure what I'm going to do- I can't bring them in the house
because ants could be in the pots.  My only other option is to carry them into the old 
office of our mechanics shop here on the place.  It's insulated and there's a heater.  

Dog crates are washed and stuffed full of hay so I can  bring the bunnies inside too. 
Depending how cold it gets maybe the rooster: Tiny Tim too.     

 Tomorrow we need to get a round bale inside the barn.
Then we'll  get old Violet and Spirit 
inside.  I hope she makes it through this- she's gotta be around 30 years old.  On cold days as it is; she has a real hard time getting up.  She's a little old lady donkey now; bless her heart.  Her son Spirit 
is probably close to pushin 20.  Time sure flies.

Speakin of  that.. our 38th anniversary just flewww by.
After a hard day's work when Myguy finally made it back to the shop he ran to town 
and picked a bouquet with pink roses; my favorite.   
I'm so grateful for a good man who loves me 
so well.  The best part of our anniversary ...
he took the day off for me. 
Best gift ever: time.  
Just being together. 
Time to make new memories... 
laugh together...
to just be together. 
   
Back to roses... this one went in my "The 100 day Project" Journal. 
To make 100 days  not feel as daunting... I decided to be quick about it all. 
Unless there is ever a day where I just want to spend a lot of time on a painting...
I'm just going to run with it my way. 
Funny though... even already I feel a huge nudge 
to write all over them.  
The art journaling is a big part of why I love 
to splatter paint all over in a book.  
That too is a learning thing.    


I love black gesso and it begs to have a white pen 
now put words to paper and paint. 

This one is my favorite.. and it reminds me how I love imperfect flowers 
in my garden.  I'm drawn to the ones that are askew with petals torn and 
I see the story growing  inside.  

And on the homefront... the oven has been on alot.  
The rabbits didn't get the bananas eaten so another sourdough loaf came to be. 

Last night I made more artisan dough.  
I've been noticing that all my loaves are sprawling out more than I want. 
My recipe calls for four cups of flour and I'm deciding it's not enough.  
So this one I added a half to three fourths cup more in this loaf today 
turned out so much better.  Before; after getting them out of the battenon basket 
and onto my parchment paper to score, they just started sprawling.. 
Then it's harder to get them into the hot dutch oven.  
Today it went so much better and the loaf is much rounder.  
It feels 
right.  
Practice
practice 
practice.
Now my recipe list is growing. 
Might need to dust off the recipe tab up above and start adding these. 

Guess I better sign off for tonight.  
I believe a salmon colored geranium is calling my name.  
Until we meet again,
<*))))><


 

2 comments:

Jean said...

Happy Anniversary dear friend what a beauuuutiful bouquet of your favourite roses.

I love your flowers paintings and am drawn to the pink rose head I could just stare at it. Looks like it is gently resting on water, you are a lovely artist.

Glad you get to spend time with your love. Keep warm and keep safe. Oh and big hugs to Violet and Spirit.

God Bless

Artful Gathering said...

Oh Lea, I sure hope your flowers and violet make it thru your cold snap. It is hard on everything.
Today it was -22 when I woke up. brrrr.
I am on my way now to do my chore..
Good luck with your endeavors today.
Hugs and love, Dawn