Monday, January 25, 2021

100 Days of Flowers and The Art of Breadmaking

Hi friends, 

The new year always gets me reflecting on changes I want to make and 
I've often shared that for me the little things add up. 
I love finding beauty in small things... and sometimes those small things
can make a big impact.  January 1st of 2020 I gave up coffee creamer for life. 
I loved coffee creamer.  I mean coffee without it... to me; bleck.  
But I knew my cholesterol was screaming at me because I ingested so much of it...
for years.  I tried to just drink coffee black... but I hated it.  So; I started using a dash of 
fatfree milk with stevia and I could do it.  Now ... I love it.  So I've went over a year now
with no creamers.  I haven't had my cholesterol checked lately but I'm anxious to.  
I still eat some fats in other foods but I made a change.  One small change that hopefully 
will make some difference.  It's something I look back on now and ... I'm just glad I did it.  

One of my changes in 2021 is learning the art of breadmaking.  
I love to bake bread the old fashioned way.  Years ago I had a breadmaker but it just wasn't the same
as kneading the dough yourself and watching it rise in a bowl on your counter.  
Myguy loves bread day.  I use the little round bread bowls  and he loves cutting two big thick slabs 
and toasting them  ... he then slathers  with butter and lots of  honey.  To hear him eat it... makes me want to just ...bake more bread. lolol  He oohs and ahhhs -  and he's completely adorable smacking 
his lips enjoying homemade bread toast.  
So with that... this is my year to hone in on my breadmaking skills.  And that brings me to 
sourdough bread.  I am soooo intrigued with the whole process of making my own wild yeast and 
have my starter going pretty good now! 

Years and years ago, my Mama shared an Amish friendship sourdough starter with me.
We kept it going for so long... but back then I didn't know about using starter
for regular breads.  Oh I wish I did and would have kept that precious starter 
from my Mama. 
But today is a new day ... 
and I want to learn everything I can. 


...Here's my new baby!!!... 
I just fed her and 
look at all those cute lil bubbles coming to the top.  
I'm so excited!!!!! 
I actually have three going at once now because well; I just got 
crazy about it all and this one on my counter is whole wheat. 
Another in the fridge is  all purpose.  
And another in a jar ... yall we are going to have sourdough 
coming out our ears. 
Least if I screw something up til I get the hang of it all...
there will be another in the wings.  

Tomorrow I'll be trying out my new banneton baskets 
and hope to carve some pretty designs in my first artisan loaf.  
I hope this year to make some amazing breads!
What's not to love about a big bowl of comforting vegetable beef soup and 
a chunk of crusty bread.  ohhhh I know; stop it right?!!  

This afternoon I'm going to go wild and experiment with the recipe Myguy loves so much 
and try adding sourdough starter to it.  The regular recipe has molasses and honey in it ...and I 
am wondering what the flavor of sourdough might add to that?  It could be a flop.. but 
what if it's really good?!!  Worse thing that can happen is it may not rise well or at all and 
the chickens get some hockey puck bread for supper.  But I'm gonna try!



Then the next thing I'm starting... 
I've shared before that sketching every day really helps me.  I've known it but 
sometimes things come up and I don't make the time.  

There is a project starting soon called The 100 Day Project.  Maybe you've heard of it?
I've always watched from afar because trying to keep up for even 30 days doing something is hard.  
The pressure of it all makes me want to run and hide.  But... I've seen other people do it and you can 
actually see how they have improved their art or craft over that span.  
So... here I am.  
For 100 days I am going to sketch, paint, or doodle  flowers and botanicals.  
Being a gardener ... I just adore flowers and plants  of every kind and color.  
While 100 days ... is daunting to me... I've decided to just do it.  
On days when I just don't have time... I will to make the time.  Even if on the hard days
if I do nothing but doodle a stick flower for five minutes... that too will be just fine. I'm tossing the pressure cooker and giving myself grace.  
While other people post their photos every day of their projects... -- that probably will not be me.  I may share something here though ... time will tell.  

For so long I've wanted to paint my garden.  
One bloom at a time.  

My favorite style is painterly flowers..
it's messy and imperfect and 
yet depicts  the essence of a flower.
This little bouquet in Blakelea's mudkitchen 
will be in my 100 days somewhere.  
:)   

And I hope to somehow learn 
how to layer petals like this one only
in paint.  Roses and peonies, and zinnias oh my. 

And simple little blossoms too.  



So I painted the cover of an Arteza 8.25x8.25 journal to get ready. 
There are not enough pages in one journal but two came to a package so
I might need to use both.   That or divide some pages and go two to a page 
or four to  a page. As I go along I want to do swatches of colors I use for a recipe as well 
and just record what I'm learning along the way.     

These will be my hashtags if I do add on Instagram. 
I'll be using my @wellblessyourlittleart account.  

Speaking of flowers today; I found some weeds that were blooming!!
I picked them and sent this very photo to  my friend Dawn in Wisconsin.  

My phone dinged and I got this back. 
Thanks for picking me some snow Dawn. 
lololol 
I'm still chuckling.

Well it's time to try that bread recipe using sourdough starter for yeast!
Will Myguy be oohing and ahhhing or will the chickens be 
the beneficiary?  Time will tell but... 
Checking on this jar of starter that 
got fed; look at it go!  I think I'm ready to 
crank up the oven!



I sign off with this scripture picture using 
today's bloomers. 
Until we meet again,
<*)))><


 

4 comments:

Terra said...

I like your passions for bread baking and for starting 100 days of flower art. That was good for you to drop coffee creamer in 2020. Baby steps are more doable for me. At one point I stopped all coffee but now I have the fabulous treat of a cup of coffee every other day.

Artful Gathering said...

Good looking bread. And your photos and words are as encouraging as always. Hugs and love. Dawn

Leaon Mary said...

Terra, thanks for dropping by... I'm with you... coffee is hard to stop. It's so enjoyable!
DAWN, I'm still chuckling at your hand picked snow. lolol

Jean said...

The flowers are so colourful at this time of year. 100 days sounds like a good project. As you say, a sketch a day is good practice and enjoying it is the most important.

Thank you for sharing the buttercups too and Scripture.

Blessings