Tuesday, January 29, 2019

It's All About The Love 2019 Challenge


Beginning Feb 1st, I'll be sharing daily entries in 
"It's all about the love."  I share the prompts with you in case 
anyone else would like to jump in with me.  

Every day I will record a prompt in a special book I'm preparing 
for this challenge.  There are no rules.  No worries, or 
stress.  Follow along and I'll share with you how I'll be doing 
it on my end.  
 This is an old book I bought on Ebay or Etsy.. I can't remember which and 
I actually got two.  The other one is red and so beautiful that I want to keep
it as it is.  This book ... is beautiful as well but she will hold fourteen days of 
my artsy mess.  I have no plans as of yet what I will do each day.  Some days 
I may want to just write about the prompts... or maybe I'll tear out some watercolor
paper and sketch something and paint, or maybe I'll scribble, or splatter, or glue ..
who knows what will happen?  This is utter proof that any one 
can just go with the flow and have fun enjoying the process of beautiful
messy, meaningful art.  
 First thing I did was gut my book.  
Who gasped?  I heard someone.  Maybe three or four of you... in unison?
It's okay... calm down.  
It's really gonna be alright.  
I shuddered too the first time I tried this. 

My book had the pages sewn in so it was easier to cut them
out carefully.  
If you have an old book you want to do this in as well... go for it.


 I know there are many ways to alter a book and just let me tell you
I am winging it.  
Through Advent I did one as well this same way and enjoyed the process 
so much.  This Love book is kind of the same idea.  
Anyways, I found some pretty papers in my pile.  I love pink roses
and liked how the pink went with my green book.  
I glued the scrapbook papers to the inside covers and 
used tape on the inside of the spine.  Mine is a regular book tape 
that I bought on amazon.  But duct tape works too.  
Digging through my paper stashes, I pulled out a few pages of plain printer paper, 
old ledger paper, tags, file folders,  pages from the actual book because they're so beautiful and aged, .. tracing paper, tomoe river paper, and other scrapbook papers I liked. 
Then, I heated up some dark instant coffee, and dipped the pages in the coffee to 
darken them up.  I had parchment paper on the kitchen table, and old material over that, then 
dipped away and laid it out to dry.  We had our wood stove going at the time and they dried quickly.
Please note I'm sharing all this by things I've read and learned from others. 
Nothin new here.  

 Then, I went through my lace, and pulled out some of it and dyed it as well. 
Also old embroidered doilies that were messed up.  
I stained and dried them in the coffee and did something I hardly ever do....

  -- pulled out the iron and actually ironed it all.  
Ironing paper is much more fun than clothes... and the smell?
ahhhhh coffee break!  Yum.  
This was my pile when it was all done.  I stained a lot of paper!
I'll have paper for the rest of the year to play with I sure hope!  
On some of the pages, I used the embroidered pieces and stitched them randomly 
on the olde featherweight machine.  
Sewing paper is right up there with ... peanut butter toast with bananas on top to me. 
It's heaven on earth.  
I did a few pages... stitching tags, and making little pockets as well.
By sewing paper,... please let me explain that I love it real messy too.
Crooked ... and tattered, and long tails of thread.  
If it's perfect looking at all... there is something in me that wants to 
really mess it up pretty.  
?  I know??  
It's weird.  
You can think it. 
I understand.

To put my simple book together,
I trimmed papers to fit inside using book pages that came out of the
book as a guide.  I measured nothing.  I hate math!  
Plus we already went over the beautiful mess thing.  
So I stacked papers that made me happy.  You know the stains that were 
beautiful, and blobs of coffee that made me giddy?  Then I grabbed a needle and thread..

I used both of these in my stash 
and threaded them together on a big needle and 
after folding my papers all together in half,
I poked holes and stitched them together.  
Some of my original book pages were not together so I used
masking tape down there center to hold together then 
sewed the whole signature together so that I could have a double page 
spread each for fourteen days.  I actually added two or three more papers 
for just in case I wanted them.  If they're not enough... no worry... I'll tape some in.
For my advent book I did not stitch anything together.  
How I held it all together was just tying a long lace or ribbon on the inside
of the book around the spine and tied it.  Then all the folded pages tuck right inside
under the lace.  Does that make sense?

Here is my ready'd book.  
You can't really see it in this photo but there is a narrow lace tied on the front of the spine that 
holds my paper inside.  The wide lace you see on the front with the silver glittery stuff is an elastic ribbon from walmart.  I just sewed it together to fit inside the front book cover.  So it's technically like a stitched loop then slid on the front cover to hold the other baubles I've stitched on it so far.  I'll probably add to it.  The other shiny ribbons are tied to the narrow lace on the spine.  
I'll take another picture of that tomorrow but wanted to publish this today in case anyone else wants to join in and would like to do anything shared here today you'll have time.  You don't have to do anything like I've done.. heck if you want to use the prompts you could use a notebook and just write if you so desire.  This is just all for fun... 

I've got to get ready for my little grand coming!  
It's our playday today!   
But I'll share more photos tomorrow. 

Thanks for stopping in...
Leaonmary

3 comments:

Heaven said...

You're so creative! Can't wait to see more as the pages unfold.

Leaon Mary said...

Thankyou Heaven!

Jean said...

I have watched videos on altering books.....I love your pics of how you put your book together and what a great idea for the 14 days till Valentines.....you are always an inspiration.

Thank you for your ideas, I should give it a go. Always good to have a distraction.

Blessings and Joy