Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Garden Of Dishes, Needing Inspiration and Strawberry Pie

Greetings and Holykisses!

Just a quick note today.
It's our bible study night, so I need to clean house and get things spiffied up for my Sisterchicks. This morning I made a strawberry pie for thee occasion. ( I'll try to remember to share the recipe at the end of this post.) Our lesson tonight is over Leah and Rachel. It was alot of reading this week, but I really enjoyed it and look forward to going over the homework and hearing what the other gals have to say about these two sisters.

This past week I also started the Beth Moore study "Believing God" with another friend.
The timing is perfect and I'm going into it with my whole heart.
We're only on day 3, and God's already used it to give me a new realization while journaling. I'm anxious to see in the days to come what He shows me. So far, it seems to me that my fears seem to be fueling the places in my soul where I've not fully been trusting God.

Onto a lighter note, ........did you see the pretty dishes in the photo up above?
This weekend I found several pieces at a flea market. Pink roses yall. Most were less than .50 cents a piece. The ones above are like half plate and half bowl. I served chili to my dear husband the first night I got them. He tore into his bowl of chili and just kept chowin down. In fact he never mentioned the pretty, new, vintage dishes at all. lol So I finally asked him what he thought of them? He said they were really nice,..... but went on and on about the GOOD chili!
I was looking at our dinner table thinking how pretty the bowls were, and he looked at the dinner table through the food. -- "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, the way to a woman's heart is through pink roses."


I found teacups, saucers, and this cream and sugarbowl, along with the "chili" bowls. Oh and two larger bowls that you could serve a salad or vegetables in! They're not all thee exact same print but many are. I kinda like the mismatched look anyways. As long as theres lots of pink flowers. Soon as I saw them, I start envisioning the day we'll start having our bible studies out on the new porch. -A bible study/tea party. I'm looking so forward to the warmer weather where we can do just that!
This is what I've been doing lately with the help of my wonderful husband.
This area is behind the shabby olde potting shed.
Where you see dirt... used to be a pile of old sheet iron. It was snakey and last year there was alot of poison ivy/oak growing up even into the trees. What a mess!
It's hard to see in this photo, but this is a long fence behind our house and our back pasture is the view.
This shed is my starting point and I just can't decide what to do?
I've thought about putting up some wooden privacy fencing. But then the view of the pond would be blocked. So now I'm leaning towards maybe just planting morning glories and red honeysuckle on a fence. But this corner needs something special.

We have a lot of cedar trees in our woods so maybe we should put in a few cedar posts and build an outdoor "living" room. I keep thinking open slats and a vine ceiling? Maybe a tiled patio?

I wonder how a section of privacy fence right against that end of the shed would look? And then .... picket fence facing the pond? We have cows out there though so I just don't know?

If you have ideas please share! I'd love to have a table and chairs back here. It's very peaceful and would be a great little get away corner.
Look at little Oliver giving me this "pitiful" look.
He'd just peed on my vacuum; so I'd scolded him and made him go outside. The other dogs were still in the house and he was out there all by himself. These looks are what get me, and are why I keep giving him chance after chance. I don't know what tomorrow holds.... but right now he's curled up and sound asleep near my chair. I can tell you one thing... I'm learning patience. Every day I know ...patience just a little bit more. lol

Well, I better get out the swiffer and mop up all the paw prints before the sister chicks get here. It's been a beautiful rainy day, and so far the dogs haven't learned how to wipe their paws.

Here is the Strawberry Pie recipe that I made today. If you try it let me know how it turns out!
We really like it...it's lite and a fairly healthy dessert!

Strawberry Pie

1 9" baked pie shell
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons real lemon juice (I always leave this out and it still turns out)
1 qt fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled. A bag of frozen works great!)
1 small sugar free strawberry jello
Splenda

Slice strawberries and sprinkle with splenda to sweeten.

In medium saucepan combine cornstarch, water and lemon juice. Over high heat bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook & stir until slightly thickened and clear about 4 minutes. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature and stir in more Splenda- I used about another 10 teaspoons. Stir in the berries and pour into cooled pie shell. Chill 4-6 hours or until set. Serve with big dollups of lite whip cream.

Have a great day,
Holykisses xoxo
L

7 comments:

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

What in the world are we going to do about Oliver????? I just sighed! You are right --- it's the eyes.

Loved the plate, Lea, and your other finds. Tea parties would be great. I need to come to this Bible study. By the way, I'm reading "Believing God" right now, too. I'm finding it hard as I question the depths of my soul, Do I REALLY believe that God will do what He says He will do????? And if not, why not?

Thank you for the pie recipe! Just what I need on this diet -- PIE!!!!!!

Denise said...

Hello my Shabby Olde Potting Shed friend....... I ALWAYS go away from here wanting to go out side and plant something.. and I smile a lot while reading..

I am pretty done with FB.... going to get back to the blog where I met all the wonderful people..

I think I will go out and buy Believing God . I need to do a LOT of studying this summer.. A LOT.......

Love ya girl and I always always love coming here.......

Go for the fence and the morning glories......

Trace4J said...

Bible study/tea party on a porch..Sounds like a picture of country living magazine. With flowers, wicker,old quilts and pie of course..Love your pretty dishes. I so love mismatched too.
Have sunny day!

Sunnyside Up said...

Hmmm....about that space out back....I LOVE thee idea of an arbor type overhang covered with vines and some big slate tiles for the flooring. Natural and rustic just like you like it...but THAT VIEW...it would be hard to cover that up! I would be in heaven just sittin there looking out at that pond and ALL those trees...a good cup of coffee..& my man...soaking in all of God's glory!!! Perfection!

Poor lil Oliver...will he EVER learn?? Good luck with that guy! And if it doesnt work out...we will ALL pray he finds a happy home!

Would love to have chili served up in those beauuutiful bowls and of course I would notice! hehe guys...they just dont "get us"!! You always find the neatest treasures on your hunts!! Pink and Roses all in the sentence?! HAPPYDANCE!!!!

Cant WAIT to see what you do with that "spot" AND we want pictures posted of your tea party this summer so all of us...that live far far away..can feel like we were invited too!! :)

Love ya sweet Lea!
Char

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Fear is what (you know who) wants us to feel as when we do then our faith is not strong. So keep strong in the lord and quote your scriptuers in your mind and push all fear out with the lords words in Jesus name.

I know those looks and your Oliver sure has them. MY hat is off to you for giving him more time. Bless you.


I hope you have a good bible study.
God Bless you,

Unknown said...

I need to get out and some flea marketing soon, love the dishes! That area of yours, how about a rustic arbor with grape vines or morning glories climbing up while your table and chairs provide a sweet spot to enjoy a cup of sweet tea under the shade? And to Cora, I find searching for the answer can be so overwhelming, I try too hard! Most answers find me when I least expect it! Hugs to you both! :)

From the Heart said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy your youth while you can.