Monday, April 1, 2019

Plotting It All Out

 Hi friends
and Happy April! 

Quick entry today; documenting plans and 
ideas to get this garden and small farm growin!

With the loss of my sweet Roo Old Spur, I had to add a different
rooster to the ladies pen.  
We actually have a rooster pen so I had a few to choose from-
--Of course the killer dog that came didn't get any of those.. but instead the primo hens. 
Sorry fella birds... don't mean to knock you.*  
(sarcasm intended) 
Anyways.... this black silky was my pick.  
He was always hiding from the other roosters and is a total scaredy cat
so hopefully won't be one to start jumping me when I go in the coop.  
Roosters can be so ONreeeeee! 
Yes I do know how to spell it correctly but this is the south.  
graMMer means little to me. 
I know even that little iMproperly Punctuated sentence drives som CRAZY.  
(I shrug my shoulders at that.) 

 Back to the silky roo... here he is strutting his stuff to his  new girlfriend.
She was amused.  
Hopefully they'll live happily ever after ... -for awhile....
and hatch lots of cute silky babies.  
And... I'm quite hoping he breeds my polka dotted frizzle hen..
the last of the frizzle girls I have (thank you bad dog) - My neighbor has been 
telling me she's been reading about breeding frizzles and silkies and that you can
get some really cool looking birds.  
Maybe we shall see? 
 To also add to this little farm... we picked up 
six baby guineas yesterday.  
It's been a long time since we have had any.
Some of you may remember Percy and CoraBelle?  
Aka the odd couple.  
That's been several years now... so I'm really looking forward to 
having a handful of squawking watchdogs again.  
Especially their pretty feathers.
 This morning I helped Myguy feed the rest of our cows at the corral.
This week if all goes well catching and loading we will be saying 
goodbye to them. 
 I know Myguy will miss them alot. 
He's always loved havin cows. 
But adding up  what we spent on hay last year... 
made the decision a tad easier. 
Myguy said  he'd rather feed an old Chevelle ten grand  this year than
a few cows. 
I hope he does.  :) 


 Here we are again doing the usual dance with the weather. 
You know the dosido to up and down nightly temps?  
Never fails that warnings come this time of year of  late freezes or frosts.
 I have been covering stuff left and right best as I can.
Funny how you use ANYthing you can to keep the frost off.  
Only think I'm worried about right now are the fruit trees.
 I better sign off for now.
I've gotta head to town for physical therapy on this 
goofy sciatica.  
I guess it's not an uncommon thing when you 
get to be my age?  
-Still doing everything I like to do but ...
a definite pain in the rear isn't it?  
I'll just leave that right there!!!!!!!!
But before I go ... gotta show ya this...
My new "read." 
Yall if you are a gardener and can your hands on this copy....
you will most likely very much enjoy it.  
This book was found on Ebay and I was so happy because it's a first edition to boot.  
I also got another called "The Garden In The Wilderness" by the same author
Hanna Rion 

This week I'll be cleaning up the garden and 
documenting  my mess.  The plan is to add a  new raised bed and 
I'll share how I'll be attempting to make things require less weeding and
tilling.  Stay tuned if you're interested. 

Have a wonderful day,
L

1 comment:

dpinyan said...

So good to hear from you. Love hearing about your farm life.