Saturday, August 20, 2016

Seed To Save, and Scripture Picture

The garden is a hot mess these days.  
By early August I all but stop  weeding.  
The flowers and weeds mingle together and are given free rein.  
The hardest part of all is letting the flowers die.  
But dying is part of living and 
the circle of life goes on.  

I wish I could remember what the flower above is called?  It's camelia something?
Maybe one of you remembers.  I grew them in my very first real garden in Northwest Arkansas.
Finding the seed again was thrilling and I've saved it and
the plant is wonderful for reseeding itself as well.  

I'm pretty sure these are new babies right here.  
They may actually have time to grow and bloom before first frost.   
That is if the roots have found soil since I did lay cardboard down for mulch.  
Time will tell. 

I'll  let these pods dry out abit and will save some even though 
they pop up all over the garden anyways.  I think I'd like to start some up at my Mommas 
olde homeplace.   
 My dear olde friend Gardenerwoman got me completely hooked on basil.  
I will absolutely enjoy gathering seed from this bunch.
The heavy scent... is intoxicating!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
I will never forget Gardenerwoman  handing me a dixie cup of basil that she'd planted herself.
"Thankyou," I replied for the thoughtful gift.
"Don't thank me," she scolded.  
"You must never thank someone for a plant."  
I smile just now thinking of her.  
Gardenerwoman  taught me so many things about life as I followed her around.  
We talked about God alot and she often scolded me with great love.  
My favorite scolding was her saying, 
"That's not for you to worry about... THAT'S God's business."  
(she was so right)

I saw much of her today as I walked around my own garden.
She saved and shared her seed with me in more ways than one.  
Notice the trumpet vine growing up the front of the greenhouse here?
Yep; that was her seed too.  

 Soon as it dries up around here I'll be spending hours saving seed. 
Here's a mess of  fennel- one of my most favorite of all time plants to grow.
The swallowtail caterpillars love it and it's so feathery and flowy ... I really
can't get enough of it.  And who doesn't love the scent of black licorice?  
Okay maybe alot of you don't... but I could nearly roll in it like an olde calico in  catnip.  

The zinnia are also another yearly gathering.  
Most are  left to bloom their heads off in the garden but I do love jarfuls of cut flowers as well.
The more you cut the more they bloom it seems.  
But then it all winds down eventually ... to this.   
Lately I'm becoming more selective and tend to save
these giant cactus zinnias the most.  
The apricot pink, and salmon colored ones are my very favorite!  
That shade of pink against the blue 48 chevy is a color combo I'm smitten with.  
 I noticed today that there are a few new buds on this bunch over here.  
They will likely be the last bouquet of the year.  
 The little campfire did so well and was a blast to watch grow.
After the petunias withered up in the pot that hung over the "fire,"
I took it down and hung a hummingbird feeder until the marigolds
are all spent.  I've been hoping they  hurry on up because I think I could
pull those out and replant and maybe they'd be blooming right on time for Fall.  
The seed I'll save though.  There's gonna be a lot!  

 Part of me loves the wildness and letting go of it all right now...
And my extra time can be spent painting and art journaling instead.  

Well, I need to start some supper for my sweetheart.
So I sign off with a scripture picture.  

I looked up the meaning of water lilies and read several 
different things.  My favorite was "pure in heart."  
So this scripture seemed fitting.  
Enjoy and 
have a wonderful weekend,
Leaon Mary xoxo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed my walk through the garden the peace.

There is a stillness and a calm at this time of year especially for evening walks as the sun sets. There are changes here too with the orange and red rowan berries showing and the colour in the hedgerows, rosehips and hawthorn and bramble. My orange marigolds are still blooming their heads off too.

I love your water lilies and their little heart shapes. Thank you for sharing the scripture and the meaning of water lilies.

Blessings and Joy.

dpinyan said...

I think your flower is Balsam...or "touch me not". It looks like an impatient with lots of blooms clustered at the stem. If it is touch me not you will have a time controlling the seeds. The little seed pod pops open and spits out the seeds when you try to gather them. I kind of put a plastic bag over the pod so it will pop the seeds into the bag. Often the plants reproduce with less and less color and you no longer have rose, white and pink but just all the same pinkish white. I wish my garden, left to go natural, would do it as beautifully as yours seems to be doing.