Saturday, June 30, 2012


Good morning dear friends,

A  fresh steamy cup of foglifter coffee  is before me.  (ahhh)
I've been out watering all morning, and..... it's getting old.
Some of my plants and flowers.. I'm about ready to just let go.
The potted plants have  taken a nose dive.
They  look like death row on our front steps.
 
With all the watering in the garden, I really need to weedeat around the perimeter, but with it so dry out in the yard, it's scary mowing and even weedeating for fear of sparks.  On a happy note:   Our tomatoes are the one thing doing amazing.  They're mulched heavily with old hay and I just use the waterhose and soak around each stem coming out of the ground.  Maters seem to love it hot n steamy so long as they don't get dry ...and it has definitely been hot n steamy.

The picture above is an ear of the strawberry corn, growing  at my Happy Place.
The stalks are dying off now and finally the little ears are turning.  These shades of pinks -to the  burgundy could be  my new favorite colors.  -- Especially next to the creamy white husks. Hey; wouldn't they look great with some turq on the side?!! 

The little postage stamp garden there  is pretty much done for the year.  The flowers are spent, and the only thing left-  a handful of small sunflowers, and the ornamental corn.  I'll let them all hang out for the rest of the week, then finish pulling up the stalks to save for decorating this Fall.  The morning glories were doing aweseome, but I think the bunny who lives there has taken to making "morning glory"  his evening salad.
It's okay though... he's just a nibbler. I think when it cools down in September, I'll plant some kale, mustard,  and other fresh greens there.  ;)  

Our best sweetcorn was the patch by our barn.  I'm still watering there, as we have pumpkins and the moon and stars watermelon growing in the corn rows.  We have coons in the corn now but they have can what's left.  So long as they don't get any cravings to have some "chicken" along with it... they're welcome.  It's funny, they pick an ear of corn and eat it and leave it lay on the ground in the rows.  I don't know if they suck on the cob or what coz they're kinda wet and the funny thing is our banty hens eat any of the leftovers like they struck gold or something.  It's funny how excited they sound  when they discover... one of those wet cobs  when I turn them out first thing of the morning.  They make these happy clucking noises  and then everyone else comes running to see what the fuss is all about.  "Corn on the cob!   Yahoo!"

It looks strange to see an empty pasture still. 
In some ways... it's a relief. 
Still no rain... and the 10 day forecast is most days over 100 and I think one or maybe two days of 20 percent chance afternoon thundershower.   No matter what they say.. I know God's bigger than all that. 
He's got us covered,
no matter what. 

I leave you with a verse sent to me from a friend yesterday.
Thank you friend!  xoxo

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord.  I will be JOYFUL in God my Savior."Habakkuk 3:17-18

Yet I will rejoice in my Lord,
Lea
xoxo






8 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

YES to that verse, I know its difficult to do if we are looking at material possessions but we that know the lord and our saviour JESUS, we have much to rejoyce in. HE saved us.

Pink corn,I hae never seen it and can you eat it?

Thinking of you. I know it was difficult to let the cows go.

TO funny about the clucking and eaten cobs. I have a clucker too, my male parrots clucks when he is eating something good. And they say parrots do not taste..... I beg to differ.

GOD keep you all safe and cool.

Anna Hanley said...

Good afternoon, I know what you're going thur. You water and water and the plants look beat. I have the same problem. We have a well so we watch how much water we use. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Anna

Paula said...

What a wonderful scripture that I will drink upon this morning :-)

Love to you my friend :-)

Dee said...

What a great verse for you...it is so hard to keep everything healthy in this horrible heat. My thoughts are with you...do not over do yourself.

Unknown said...

This time is truly a test of faith, I'm not giving up hope, it's just so sad watching all your hard work and effort just dry up! This too shall pass! 20% is better than nothing!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Lea, just to say I am thinking about you and holding you in my prayers. Still wish I could send some rain over to you. Thank you for the verse of scripture. Rejoice indeed.

Bless You dear friend.

Jeanie
x

Fran. said...

Oh Lea I am sorta in the same way!! All the hard work!! I am praying for rain too! I am watering like a fool too!! My tomatoes are doing pretty also!! Gotta run my battery is about to run out!! I have been havin the darnest time tryimg to comment on things!! This stinkin weather is driving me crazy too!! But like you said GOD is bigger than anything we can imagine!! And what a perfect verse!!! Love ya, XOXO Frannie

Attic Clutter said...

oh Lea.. my heart goes out to you.. cows gone..no rain
ugh..
hope you get wet soon..
hugs..Patty