Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Martha Martha




Good morning friends, 

The day started way too early. 
Finally got up and just opened my bible because 
He is my strong tower.
With this pandemic going on, I've put something off long as I can 
out of fear but it's time to just face it.  
I know I won't be alone.  
He goes before me, is behind me, is beside me  and 
is within me.    
Courage is my word of the day. 
How about you?!!  

Thought I'd share that 
I'm almost finished reading the extra books in  Gram's catholic bible. 
Sirach is my favorite but I'll save writing more until I have time 
to share what I  gleaned from each book.  I don't want to leave something  out
and don't have that bible  in front of me.  

Today is bread baking day  and last night I found myself researching food in biblical 
times- especially bread.    I read  that women had to get up around three hours before 
their household just to make bread.  Can you imagine?  That led me rereading about the Proverbs 31 woman... how she would rise while it was still night to provide food for her family. That lines up perfectly.  Nowadays we have it so easy... we can buy yeast in the store.. we don't have to gather the grain before we beat it into flour.. we have our big ole kitchen aid mixers to do alot of the work... -- I've got it made.    The whole subject  brought me into the book of Ruth reading about Naomi and Ruth arriving in Bethlehem during the beginning of barley harvest.  Barley and wheat were the usual grains used for break making.   I love how the Word says  she "happened" on Boaz's field...  It's such a beautiful story how she found her kinsmen redeemer.  And... 
 cool too  how the simple act of baking bread today  made the bible come to life even more than my day before.  The word of God is truly alive.  And how it says she "happened" on Boaz's field.. tells me God was connecting her dots... the same way I've seen him connect my own. 

 In my research of biblical foods, I cant help but to remember our dear Martha.  I wish right now I could say ... hey Martha Martha... I need your bread recipe!  Just imagine the foods she prepared for Jesus.  
I just bet the table she set was lovely.  

I sign off with wildflowers in our woods. 
Until we meet again,
Lea  <*(((><

4 comments:

dpinyan said...

What beautiful thoughts you share.

Jean said...

Lea I can't even imagine getting up three hours before the household and I can't imagine what it would've been like baking bread in bible times. We sure do have it easy!! I especially have it easy coz I don't even bake bread....The story of Ruth is quite amazing and as you say God was connecting her dots!

The Proverbs 31 woman must have been quite a lady. I remember my Dad telling me about my Grandfather getting ready on a Sunday morning to go to church and Grandmother would have polished his shoes the night before and ironed his shirt so everything was ready for him...she'd say "I'll be Martha".


I am thinking about you. You won't be alone Lea. "Spiritus Sancti with You".

Dawn Dutton said...

Good message Lea.

Leaon Mary said...

Thank you D Pinyan...
Jean... your great grandparents must have been dressed very spiffy for church. Times have changed so much haven't they? Depending what church you go to as well. I hvae went to one my kids go to often and there... people just come as they are... often have shorts on. I feel funny that way.. I think we should wear our best for God but then there is the other part of me that come as you are feels right too. To each their own I guess. Your great grandmother would laugh at me because ironing... well I can iron squares and rectangles alright but don't do so well with fancy shirts n things. lol

Thanks Dawn Dutton!