Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Last Few Days...

Well friends, 
how has your March started?  
Don't know about you but I'm so ready for time to spring ahead 
this weekend and also ... to warm back up.  

I know so many of you are covered in piles of snow and 
while I do love snow...  
-- think I'm turning into a pansy.  
Last couple nights it fell to the teens here and will again tonight.
I had to move the bunnies into the greenhouse in front of a heater.
Some of the plants ... I dunno? 
We're all cold.   

We have a few  crappy square bales up in the loft of the barn;
so I covered up the plants that had started growing.  Can't imagine it will help
much but ... did what I could do.  
This bed had 3" peonies up.  
Now they not only froze but got wallered by cats. 
Time will tell how everything fairs. 
The fruit trees were getting buds too.  

 More news:  we're getting goats again.  
A friend of ours raises dwarf Nigerian goats so... 
in less than two months we should be getting a little wether and doeling.  
Papa has started a new pen near  Blakeleas rooster.
Ohhh that girl is gonna flip.  
 On one of the last warm days we had I walked by our mess of a goldfish pond
and they had started waking up.  During winter they kinda go dormant.
So I got some fish food out and decided to roll up my sleeves and clean out 
all the plants I didn't want and old leaves.  
Wish I could remember what this one plant is but it had taken completely over!!!  
Kinda reminds me of an iris.  
I grabbed a pruning shears and went to pulling and cutting.  WHAT A JOKE.
That root  was like an iceberg!  
I'm not kiddin.  
Myguy helped with the tractor to lift the entire rootball  with the 
front end loader.  
The fish barely had any water... it was all rootball.  

We set the whole darn thing out.  Then I added more water making sure 
to not get it too clear and kill the fish.  
 I tried to find the lilies because I wanted those back in.  
They were completely balled up with that other junk.  
I hacked on some of it and set it on the shelf of the pond and weighed it down with rocks.  
If that iris looking stuff  comes back I'll pluck it out. 
              Also, next trip to Lowes I'll get a couple more water lilies just in case.   
 I saved a little bit of water lettuce, and 
one other clump of a plant I love ... don't know the name but you can 
see it way at the back in the water. It resembles 
tiny bamboo and stays clumpy.  

 The fish seemed so happy.  
And about three days later I saw small ones so they definitely 
have babies down in the mud.  
Can't wait til it gets warm this weekend and flush it a little bit more.  
We don't keep a pump in it.  With lilies growing they kept it tangled and  
stopped up. But I kinda like it just natural.  
The frogs get thick and it does really well.   


Now ... I'm trying to figure out where to dig up a tiny ... I mean tiny
postage stamp plot for our grandgirl to have her own garden in her play area.
There's an old hog trough right there that we could plant in and it gets a little sun.
But really I'd like it to be on the ground and put a little plastic fence around it.  
She's kinda young to be doing this with but she does like to pick "flowas" 
for garnishes in her mud kitchen so this way they'll be near.  


The last day she was here it was real warm out so she got to make some mud pies and tea.
 The girl loves pretending tea party.   
She doesn't know it yet but see the antique tea set I found on Etsy?  
Our little parties this summer are fixin to get fancier.  :)
On the bottom of the three pieces (not the platter)
is the date May 10, 1898 
Can't wait to see her play with it.  

 Another surprise is I found a harness for her rooster Larkspur.  
No one would ever believe how we dote on and try to protect this rooster.  
On days when I turn all the chickens out... he gets carried to an outdoor dog kennel
that has a wire top so a hawk can't get him.  
  
And course ya don't want him  to be lonely so then one of his wives goes too. 
Then we go through this whole thing again before dark to put them back in the coop. 
ALL because she loves a curly haired rooster.  
Ohmygoodness.


 Other than that... 
Tomato seeds are planted.  
I planted three kinds:
Big Daddy, Big Boy, and Supersteak- all Burpees.  
Look at all that juicy, vine ripened goodness.  
I can taste it already... can you?

Better sign off.  
Myguy just got home from work and wants breakfast for supper... 
Wish granted!

Til next time!  


No comments: